Wednesday, March 12, 2008

the aftermath

















i hate the heat. which is probably why i will always live in minnesota. the whole time i was in mexico, i enjoyed myself... but i kept thinking... "i wish it wasn't so hot here." most people like the heat. my sister in law janelle is a freak about the sun and just laying out in it. i don't get it. heat has always made me feel uncomfortable.

but sometimes... it's necessary.

so in my last post, burning the old tattered disguise, i talked about the process of becoming real before God and friends & family. letting God access every corner of who i am. no longer pretending to be someone that i'm not. i realized very quickly that this is not something that can be done in an instant. actually let me rephrase that. it can ONLY be done in an instant. ha... that may sound a bit contradictory, but let me explain. i believe that in every moment of life... every instant... we have choices. we can choose to do good, and we can choose to do evil. we can choose to drink pepsi, and we can choose to drink coke. and most of the time there are more than just two choices. and the choices that we make directly impact and shape the type of person that we'll become. the choices i've made in the past have brought me to where i am today. who i am today. and so if i'm going to burn my disguise... if i'm going die to myself... if i'm going to choose to live differently today than i was living yesterday... it has to happen instant by instant. moment by moment. i have to continue to choose this daily.

the other day i had one of those defining moments where i had my first real tangible chance to choose to continue burning my costume or to extinguish the flames, dust it off and put it right back on.

for a moment i faltered. and that's all it takes. one moment.

so i'm sitting there in this mess that i vowed to leave. and i'm feeling trapped. i'm feeling guilty. it's like the costume was still on fire and to put it on was to put on fire. i could barely breathe.

and that's when it hit me. why am i here? i do not have to stay in this. right now i can choose to walk away.

right now.

so that's what i did. and it wasn't easy. it's almost as if each time i try to put this costume on, it gets harder and harder to take it off. but surprisingly i'm feeling hopeful rather than discouraged. i think that God is beginning to show me the patterns i've set in motion that have been the cause of most of my problems. he's showing them to me and then helping me to grind against them when they begin. slowly, but surely... God is molding me into the man he dreamt i'd be.

"though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials.
these have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed."
1 peter 1:6-7

20 comments:

Marsyl said...

Danny boy, I can so relate to what you are sharing. like, are you reading my mind or what? Sometimes it's like after the mask and costume is really just ashes, we are still walking around thinking we are disguised - until someone points out to us that the emperor has no clothes. That you are pointing it out to yourself is awesome and brave. And that you are doing it now instead of 30 years from now is also a gift. I'm going to hope for a really cool 'new' costume, garment, whatever that Jesus gives us when we put Him on. (I'm thinking tie dye)
Marcell

Danny said...

marcell-
hey friend! i'm glad you enjoyed the blog! i'm down for some tie dye robes in heaven! ha... as long as we get to fly, i'm cool with whatev!

MK said...

Daniel!

PREACH it!!!

Danny...I love the words and thoughts you've written here...God is using you to speak the Word.

I'm honored to watch you grow...I've been with you since you were 9-years-old...and now becoming that man God imagined.

Love you!

dave said...

Ok quit with the reality stuff will ya.

I dont like conviction . . .

you're killing me her danny. But in a good way. actually God's killing me, dying to the old self, perpetually. what a journey!

terri said...

i love it that you don't give in to the temptation to look all fixed-up after you've made a commitment to change. that takes time honey. the costume was probably about 15 or 20 years old and stuff gets kind of sticky after a number of years. love you...

kirsten said...

... or you can drink water.
{sorry, couldn't resist!!}

i love the dichotomy you create here because it really shows the tension that exists: it happens over time & it happens in an instant.

in an instant, we can choose one little thing. those choices either choose or don't choose the life & identity God has for us.

if i say, for example, i want to cut sugar out of my diet, that means i probably shouldn't eat that piece of candy in front of me. does the lifestyle of "not eating sugar" happen with one choice? no, it happens when that choice is made repeatedly. so it happens in an instant, & it happens over time.

you're a genius!

over time, those instants are used by God to strip away the masks, the cloaks, those false things we cling to instead of Him & his GRACE. we don't choose Him just once, we choose him over & over again. or like you said, we do choose Him once AND we choose him over & over again.

gosh that stuff {grace} is frickin' amazing. someone really should write a song about that ... ;o)

so, did you swallow a wise old man at lunch one day, or are you just incredibly insightful in all your hip youngness? because i didn't think any of this until i read what you just wrote here, dude.

love you so much, bro. thanks for reading all my crazy-long posts. and love my other bro, too!!

waving from wa,
-sis

Sarah said...

Wow...I don't know how I've missed your blog, but I'm glad I found my way here eventually. I know Christianne and Kirsten and Dean and your mom...at least, I know them through blogland

I love how you write about your costume, about taking it off and putting it back on and then deciding to take it off again--the imagery here is so right on for this whole process.

Danny said...

shasha-
love you shasha. thanks for the encouragement! i've enjoyed growing up with you and your family! you've all been a huge influence in my life! (:

poppa-
hey dude. sorry man. don't blame me, blame God for making me this way! ha.. nobody likes conviction dad.. but isn't it cool that we don't have to take the journey of death to self alone? God is with us, along with a whole bunch of other christians with the same heart and passion!

momma-
i liked how you talked about looking all fixed up being a temptation... i never really thought of it that way, but you're totally right! speaking of 15 year old sticky clothes... when are we going shopping?! (:
that's right folks, i'm 23 years old and i still go clothes shopping with my mommy.

ksissy-
ha... ya health nut! ha... i was totally going to put in water instead of coke... but i thought the two sodas contrasted better... ha... i love you! thanks for all of your thoughts on the post! it's nice to have people connecting with my thoughts & struggles... reminds me that i'm not alone... and you're too kind by the way! ha... all the insight & genius is probably hereditary.

sarah-
hey there new friend! thanks for swinging through and reading some of the posts! i'm always up for meeting new people! and if you're friends with all those peeps, then you're friends with ME!
(:
thanks for your thoughts! yeah, i really felt it was helpful to use the act of putting something on and taking it off because it's way more than just pushing a button... these are choices that you wear.

Jen said...

hey Danny, just wanted to say that I love hearing you describe how God is working in your life. beautiful stuff. love ya!

Danny said...

jen-
awww... thanks jen! i love you too! i've enjoyed reading your posts too! you are doing some AMAZING things in haiti and i really admire you!

terri said...

you name the time and place and i'm there.

christianne said...

hey broham, just wanted to let you know that i'm with you on this instant and lifetime stuff. totally brill, on your part.

and by the way, i love your new banner. how'd you do that?!

kirsten said...

hi danny!! it's me {ksissy, i love it}, but this time i'm waving from california. i think that makes a difference.

just wanted to wave & say hi. ;o)

love,
*k

Danny said...

momma-
anytime, anyplace. let's do it!

chrissy-
may i call you chrissy? it's a mix of christianne and sissy (:
thanks for the compliments! ha... you gonna laugh when you hear how i did the banner... i made it in microsoft paint! ha... which is ridiculous because at work i have adobe photoshop which is totally boss compared to paint. the picture was actually too narrow to take up the space of the whole banner so i had to create more sky surrounding the left and right side. ha... pretty interesting stuff huh? i love creating and designing stuff... fun times...

ksissy-
whatchu doin in cali sissy?! it snowed today... ugh... i'm not jealous... i'm just JEALOUS!

Dean said...

Danny, this is really starting to make me hate business travel. I go away for a few days and I feel like I've totally missed the party!

I loved the post. It links for me to an issue I've always struggled with, which is: How can God forgive me for the sin I knowingly committed today when I confessed that same sin yesterday?

I like the idea that there is an element of choosing forgiveness both once off and continuously and that the two are not contradictory but coexist necessarily. (That makes sense in my head tho it sounds odd, even to me!)

Danny said...

dean-
don't sweat it homie! i always give it some time in between posts for others to respond and for myself to process through everything! (:
that is a wonderful, but super difficult question you raised... i think it totally applies and your last comment made sense to me!
keep it real dude! hope your business is well!

di said...

hey danny...waving to you over there from my little corner of the furnace; you're right it sure does get hot in here but my gosh the company is awesome! very insightful words from a man of wisdom beyond his years ~ keep dancing like david danced (and writing) this is good stuff!

Danny said...

di-
hey friend! ha... yes... the heat is extreme, but you're right about the company! (:
thanks for the kindness!

christianne said...

danny, you rock the microsoft paint palette. :)

and of course you can call me chrissy. hey, that's a new one for me, which is surprising because with a name like mine, i've pretty much heard every single variation possible.

ps: di, your comment about waving from the other side of the furnace and enjoying the company made me smile. we're all in this together, are we not?

di said...

christianne, yes we are, indeed.

doin' a little princess wave...like they do on those floats in a parade...ya know, we can do that...our Father is King! : )

hey danny high five! bro. that makes you a prince ... more than a knight!

indeed.