Friday, December 9, 2011

daniel before the dentist

so... i'm going to the dentist today... and i'm decently nervous. mostly because the last time i went to the dentist i had to get a root canal.. and that was like 5 or so years ago. it's just been one of those things that i've always been afraid of for some reason. same thing with the doctor. i've had health care for the last 3 years and i haven't even used it.


until now.


when i was a kid, i got teased a lot about my weight. and it made me HATE going to school. honestly, i tried staying home "sick" at least once a week. i'm pretty sure that was really hard for my parents... having a child wake them up once a week pretending to be sick, but refusing to be honest & admit what was truly wrong.


as i've gotten older, people have become more polite than my former classmates. nobody teases me about my weight. could you imagine if they did?! how terribly rude! but the problem is actually... people don't talk about it... at all. it's like my body is a secret everyone is trying to keep from me so that my feelings won't be hurt. and i have LOVED the comfort of that place. it's honestly helped me to become more confident in who i am... but it's also helped me to become comfortable with being "the way" i am.


i've decided that it's time to stop being afraid of hearing what's true about me. specifically about my body.


i'm unhealthy.


but i've also decided that it's time to stop being unhealthy.


i went to the doctor's office the day after thanksgiving to establish health care... and my doctor (my friend jason como) was refreshingly honest with me & told me i need to lose weight. that didn't come as a huge surprise to me... but what did is that apparently i am technically "morbidly obese". those words... that honesty.. it really impacted me.


i had already downloaded an app called "calorie counter" that my good friend damaris recommended to me. i had used it a couple times just to get an idea of how many calories i take in when i'm not trying to do anything different. well, dr. como gave me a game plan to follow for how many calories i should take in to be more healthy, and this app has been SO helpful! i cut out soda & i also got a membership at the ywca right down the road from where i live. i've been trying to go there & run any chance i get. i've already lost 10 lbs and i have more energy lately.


i'm excited to see where this goes. who knows... maybe this trip to the dentist will bring something good into my world.

7 comments:

terri said...

oh my goodness i love you. and this makes me really happy for you. i know you're going to feel so much better danny. i'm very, very proud of you.

and about being teased as a kid. that breaks my mother heart. i hate that you went through that. and truthfully, i knew you weren't really sick all those days. sometimes i just couldn't bear to force you to go to school when you were struggling. i wish i could have found some better ways to help you.

Danny said...

i love you mom. you've been nothing BUT helpful to me my whole life. honestly, the way you and dad have loved me has gotten me through so much.

i gotta go! that dentist appointment is in 10 minutes!

Dave said...

way to go danny! go get 'em. maybe i can go to the "Y" w/ you a few times and we can workout 2gether.

sorry you had to go through that when you were a kid. it sounds like it made you stronger in some way.

hope dr amble is nice to you...lol

Erica Hunt said...

Any time you want to take a walk to the drinking fountain together, let me know. I'm there.

manda said...

:) i'm proud of you dear. you know that. you've been blowing me away with all the energy and excitement you've had towards all this!

and i really admire your honesty and your confidence, i wanna be more like you.

i love you. more and more every day.

Jen said...

Hi Danny, I totally admire you both for making healthy changes in your life and also for writing about it publicly so that maybe others can be encouraged by your progress. You rock.

Danny said...

poppa - i'd love to work out with you sometime! i'm really enjoying running! i'm bummed the y doesn't have a gym though... it'd be fun to shoot some hoops or something... but there is a pool and a hot tub!

erica - walking & water! what an idea! thanks for your support erica. means a lot.

manda - it's really surprised me too... i didn't think i would jump right in like this. but i have SO MANY things motivating me. i love you too dear... you're a huge part of the reason i'm doing any of this.

jen - that means a lot coming from you! and not just cause you're a doctor ;) i really do hope it can inspire other people.